We have animated with Johnatan Landais at lift12, a workshop aimed to share the co-design method developped in Host project and to collect complements about needs, tools and services for ederly people in social housing.
Some elements about our methodology :
- The goal of the workshop was to imagine new ideas mixing ressources from real end-users and from the close relatives from the participants. However in case of short workshops (less than 2 hours) it is usefull to provide simple resources like already-known problematics. This constraint of efficacity can be contradictory with co-design method, especially in case of taking the place "unknown" people or problematics, a long time of exchange and immersion is a waranty of well working.
- We have split the worshop in main stage of work (needs, tools, ressources) with a progression to a global service design. It is necessarry to "coerce" the co-designers to deliver a working production at each step in a guided form. The animation tools can be a paper form. It can as well be a tablet input that would be validated at the end of each step (ie : describe the need of the people) and usable by other co-designers in next steps.
- Mixing informations can be sometimes productive sometimes not :
- It has been difficult to achieve at the same time the goal to gather informations and to share the project and the method.
- At the opposite, we have used technologies for animation during the workshop that where afterwards involved in the creation of new services (kjing).
You will find below the conductor/guideline of our workshop, ressources used in it and some results collected.
Results of the workshop
Technologies that have been important for you
- Internet, mobility, smartphone, mailing
- Agriculture : plow, fermentation
- Energy : Solar wind, LEDs
- Collaborative online tools like : open-source container, Wikipedia
- Art and memory : digital cameras
- We can notice that main answer were linked to
Categories and needs
- Social environement
- Used to play (cards, "boules") : how to play home when sick ?
- Shopping stress
- Help on managing the computer so the person can send emails to its relatives and family
- See grand-children grow *
- Difficulty to send easily messages to family *
- Health, mobility, organisation
- How to manage with a lot of different pills (remember prescription, organisation)
- Difficulty to have bus schedule *
- Difficulty to take the bus
- Lack of physical stimulation
- Day and night : confusion problem and difference to other people
- Food hygiene sometimes bad (lack of vegetables and fruits, microwave, etc)
- Diffulty to carry buyings in supermarket
- Problem of organization in cleaning and food cooking
- Problem of memory
- Interior layout not adapted to aging (kitchen, etc)
- Falling in home, fails to get help
- Motivation, "spiruality"
- Wake up : when ? why ? how ?
- Lack of intellectual stimulation
- Manage change for new retired people/pensionnier
- Cultural interest
- Access to past radio/TV programs
- Access to cultural informations / virtual visites
- Access easily to recipies and user-guide
- City life
- Difficulty to communicate with care taker or institution (OPAC) *
- Share local informations, but not in common rooms *
- Exchange, discuss with local associations *
* : from OPAC’s end-users
New ideas / propositions
- Am I healty ? Submit my data to central service (blood, sugar, weight)
- Nutritionnal values with bar-code scanning in context of buying
- Personnal reminder
- Cook better perhaps with help (scaching)
- Shuttle supermarket : home delivery and home pickup to the supermarket. Why not mix it with the school bus and ask pupils to carry bags.
- In supermarket : just mark the products you want to buy and they delivered at home
- Providing help to get on/off bus. Or special button.
- Detection system to prevent faling without geting help. Possibility of peer-care like project :
- Humoristical diary for the day to come *
- Memo vocal to record simply by himself notes *
- Listen to voice of friends more often *
* : from OPAC’s end-users